Today, we woke up to full sunshine. Finally! We were on our bikes early. It was the longest ride of the week. We were riding to our new hotel...Castello di Velona - 75 miles from where we were. We had a few shorter options but the long ride was 75 miles. Yikes!
No lunch was planned so we all packed our packs. Everyone took bars, water, gatorade, and we made sandwiches. I was so happy because I saw PB&J. I made 2 PB&J sandwiches and put them in my pack. Of course I took more food, but I was really excited for my PB&J. I think many other riders were too but no one showed it as much as I. I never realized how much I missed those sandwiches. You can't really find peanut butter in Italy.
Anyway, enough about PB&J....the long ride begins....
Mark, Liz and Doug took off early so Joelle and I rode together the entire way. We had an awesome day. We never got lost and we never stopped for more than 7 minutes. We only stopped quickly to eat some of our food or to go to the bathroom - in the trees somewhere.
Joelle timed us. We rode for 5 hours and 47 minutes. She burned 3558 (something like that) calories. She has one of those handy-dandy heart rate monitors. Awesome day - best day of the week. We didn't ride the entire 75 miles but we rode 58 miles with a billion long, hard climbs and some nice downhill rides as well.
I'll admit it...after 5 hours and 47 minutes, I was very happy to see the van. Joelle and I took the van to our hotel. She had to get back because she had a massage appointment and I went back with her because I was done for the day. I was ready for a beer! I was going to ride more with Mary, our leader, but she said it was mainly uphill the rest of the way, so I said, "No thanks...see you at the hotel. Have fun!"
Liz, Mark and Doug did the entire ride - the full 75 miles. Doug beat everyone. He got to the hotel about an hour before anyone else. He's insane! Liz and Mark were not far behind, but they got a lost a little bit. oops.
That night....everyone celebrated the sunshine and the long ride. We went out for dinner in town and Mark made friends with the owner of the restaurant. They're new best friends.
Another great day of riding. Only one more day left. Legs and hineys were really starting to hurt everyone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment